What is wrong with me? I can’t find the energy to get my blog on that much anymore. By the time the day is over, I don’t want to deal with writing it all up I guess. Or maybe its just that I want to get off the computer after a long day at work. Oh well.
So things I have been thinking about or doing lately:
1. Lost – With 24 not starting till January, and everyone praising this show, and an empty Netflix queue, I figured what the hell. So I am 3 of the 6 discs into season 1. Its good. I am getting annoyed that the plot lines keep falling off. One show will deal with crisis X and then the next show on crisis Y. What happened to X? At least on 24, they explain X away in 2 lines of dialog in the first 3 minutes of the show. Hopefully, it all gels back together!
2. Running – I am losing it. When colder air sets in, I find great excuses not to run. I need to get better at keeping it up. But I hate cold air in my lungs. It just hurts. Its not that cold yet but I love running on those 90 degree days. When I watch Lost, I wonder what its going to take for me to live in Hawaii (where Lost is filmed).
3. Big Presentation – On November 10th, I have to host the annual meeting for my HOA. Its going to be at the conference center up the street. Expecting about 100 folks. In the past, these have either been snoozers or fights. The snoozers — no info was shared. The fights — people getting angry about random things and arguing and distracting the meeting. This year, I am changing the format to — Death by PowerPoint. My geek friends and I live this daily. However, my slides are getting pretty good. Its going to be fun. Got a new wireless slide flipper thing and all.
4. Stocks – Watching Mad Money has me more interested in stocks. I used to be when it was fun like in the 90s. But since the bust, I don’t pay much attention. Lately, I have been tracking them more and more. I wonder if a bigger comeback is on the way one of these days for the market.
5. Mile HIGH City – Denver voters legalized some random pot law tonight. Seems like one of those gay marriage deals where the city says its good, but the state says no.
6. Wal-Mart – I stopped in to a community meeting put on by Wal-Mart tonight. They are planning to build a 2nd Wal-Mart Supercenter with adjoining Sam’s Club in our town but this one is about 2 miles down the street from me. We are at Wal-Mart all the time so its cool by me. The anti-Wal-Mart crowd was there in small numbers to explain why Wal-Mart is super bad for the world. I haven’t done the research but I suppose some of there points are valid about labor practices. Something about Wal-Mart replaces 3 full-time retail jobs with 2 part-time jobs However, nobody forces anybody to work anywhere so if the job sucks, then quit. There have to be other places to work.
7. AJAX – With everybody doing it, I thought I had to get into the rage of the web. I had a few features I needed to implement for work so I spiced them up AJAX-style. While I do think the features are a bit slicker now, it wasn’t earth shattering. Especially, because in a desktop app, you could do this stuff in 1995. But its better and I bet more will come out of it. I am digging the Prototype library a lot though.
8. Cell Phone – My 2 year contract with Cingular is up at the end of this month. I hate so many things about Cingular and I am sick of my Nokia phone. It was good in its day but I need more power. That Windows Mobile Treo looks great but since I am at my desk all day, do I really need all that? It would be nice for travel but do I really want to drag a Treo in my pocket when I go out for dinner? No. So I am torn on what to do. My issue with Cingular is we have like 4 dead spots in town that happen to be places I frequent. Sick of that! Its been years and they haven’t fixed those spots. I had Verizon long ago but they made me mad also. Back to them? Or maybe Sprint – although they never seem to have the good stuff.
That’s the end of my spew for tonight.