Current version is 188.8.131.52 released on 2013-11-11
Other Editions: iTunes for Windows | Winamp | Windows Media Player
The Now Playing plugin allows you to easily publishing what you are listening to! The end result is something that could look like this on your web site!
iTunes allow you to create plugins that can do various tasks for you. The Now Playing plugin monitors the song you are listening to and publishes the data in various ways:
- Creates a XML file with information on that song. A file called now_playing.xml is created in your iTunes Plug-ins directory.
- The plugin also offers you the ability to upload that file to a server of your choosing after it is updated.
- Create a ping with the song information.
- Post information on Twitter.
- Post information on Facebook.
The idea is that you publish the XML up to your web server and then through some scripting magic, you can display your currently playing song or your recently played tracks. To make your web site more interactive, the plugin also retrieves the following information for you to use:
- URL of the album image cover art from Amazon.com (if found).
- Link to the Amazon.com product page for the CD (if found).
- Link to the Apple iTunes Music Store product page with the song highlighted within iTunes (if found).
- Run the installer.
- Start iTunes.
- The first time you start iTunes with the plugin installed, the configuration screen will come up. If you don't see it or you miss it, you can reopen the configuration screen at any time by selecting Now Playing as the Visualizer. In the latest version of iTunes, you can do this on the View, then Visualizer menu. Then return to that menu and choose the Options item.
About: Get version information.
Options: Configure a few basic options for the plugin.
- Publish Stop: If you want the plugin to publish a message when you stop playing music.
- Artwork: If you want the artwork to be exported locally, check this option. The files will be placed in the same directory as the XML file configured on the XML tab. This option is independent of the artwork setting on the upload tab. Only check this if you want the image files to be saved on your computer.
- Artwork Width: Specify the the width of any exported images (both local and uploaded) if the cover art image is wider than the given value. Setting the value to 0 will cause no resizing to occur. The height is calculated based on the width-height ratio of the original image.
- Skip Shorter Than: If a track is shorter than this number of seconds, the track will be skipped from all output interfaces (XML, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). This is helpful if you have short sound effects in your playlist that you do not want to publish. If set to 0, the setting is effectively disabled and all tracks will be published.
- Skip Kinds: If a track matches this list of kinds, the track will be skipped from all output interfaces (XML, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). This is helpful if you don't want to publish video, for example. This is a comma separated list of values. The value for each kind should be taken from the XML's kind tag.
- Logging: If you are not getting the results you expect from the plugin, you may want to enable logging. The log will be generated in the Mac OS X Console.app. If you contact me about an issue, I will be more likely to solve your issue if you send the log file with the event captured at the debug log level.
XML: Configure some options for the XML file that will be generated.
- Output File: Specify the location of the file that is created when the song changes. This file will be uploaded to your FTP server if configured to do so.
- Wrap XML tag values with CDATA: Some song properties have odd characters inside of them and you may need to safely encode the XML depending on your parser.
- Playlist Length: Enter the total number of songs that you want to publish in the XML file.
- Encoding: Select which type of encoding your want for the XML. UTF-8 is the recommended choice.
Upload: Enter your server information to configure FTP or SFTP. Be sure that you have permission on your server to upload the file.
- Protocol: Choose from None, FTP, and SFTP.
- Hostname: Your FTP/SFTP server name or IP address.
- Username: Your FTP/SFTP login.
- Password: Your FTP/SFTP password.
- Artwork: The plugin will export the album artwork for the current track and upload it along with the XML if checked. The image will be resized to be a maximum width of that specified on the Options tab. This option is independent of the artwork export setting on the Options tab.
- Reset Export Cache: The plugin keeps track of the last time it uploaded a piece of album artwork. It will then skip uploading that same piece of artwork again. To clear the cache, you can press this button. You would do this if you are changing web servers or just want to refresh your artwork.
Ping: The plugin can send an HTTP POST request when the song changes. The request is sent after the upload of the XML file, if configured. Each of the XML tag names for the track are posted as fields.
- URL: Enter a URL that will receive the POST request.
- Extra Info: Enter a value that will be sent as a HTTP header called X-NowPlaying. You can use this to set a secret value that your script looks for to prevent unauthorized use.
Twitter: The plugin can post a tweet with what you are listening to.
- Enabled: Turn the feature on or off.
- Rate Limit: Enter the minimum number of minutes between tweets. This is used to comply with Twitter's rate limiting. Also helps so you don't annoy the crap out of your followers with a tweet for every track you play.
- Message: Enter the text that you want to post for each new song that plays. You can use a combination of the tags listed below the field for the song data. The text will be substituted and should be less than 140 characters (Twitter limit).
- Setup: You need to complete the three phase setup to add and authorize the plugin to work with Twitter. 1) Press Authorize to launch a web browser and give Now Playing access. 2) You will get a PIN from Twitter that you enter in the field. 3) Verify the PIN by pressing Verify. 4) You should see your Twitter name appear there with an option to reset if you want to start over or remove the association.
Facebook: The plugin can update your Facebook feed with what you are listening to.
- Enabled: Turn the feature on or off.
- Rate Limit: Enter the minimum number of minutes between posts. This is used to comply with Facebook's rate limiting. Also helps so you don't annoy the crap out of your friends with a post for every track you play.
- Caption: Enter the text that you want to post for each new song that plays. You can use a combination of the tags listed below the field for the song data.
- Description: Enter the text that you want for the description of the news feed item for each new song that plays. You can use a combination of the tags listed below the field for the song data.
- Setup: You need to complete the two phase setup to add and authorize the plugin to work with Facebook. Press each of the buttons in sequence and follow the instructions. You should see your Facebook name appear there with an option to reset if you want to start over or remove the association when you have completed the steps.
Amazon: The plugin will query Amazon.com for additional information about your song, such as a link and the album image cover.
- Enabled: Turn the lookup on or off.
- Locale: Choose "us" for Amazon in the US, "ca" for Amazon in Canada, "uk" for Amazon in the United Kingdom, "de" for Amazon in Germany, "fr" for Amazon in France, or "jp" for Amazon in Japan.
- Associate ID: Amazon allows you to collect referral fees on items sold when users click-through from your site. Enter your associate ID here.
- ASIN Hint: Check this box if you want the plug-in to assume the value of the track’s grouping field is an Amazon ASIN. Since Amazon's search is quirky for some albums, you can use this feature to specify the exact album you want to match.
Apple: The plugin will query Apple's iTunes Music Store for additional information about your song, such as a link.
- Enabled: Turn the lookup on or off.
- Affiliate ID: Want to receive a commission when users click-through and buy songs from your site at the iTunes Music Store? Join the Apple iTunes Affiliate program. Find out what your Affiliate ID is and plug it in here.
License: If and when you purchase a license, you will enter your registration information on the license tab. Enter the e-mail address you used for the PayPal transaction and the license key I sent you after the purchase.
The XML has the following format for a single song playlist. If you configure the playlist for more than 1 entry, there will be multiple song tags.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<now_playing playing="1" timestamp="2007-09-08T23:12:46Z">
<kind>MPEG audio file</kind>
<comments>I like it.</comments>
- Q: I lost my registration key. Can you resend it?
A: You can retrieve it yourself here.
- Q: Twitter isn't authorizing. What do I do?
A: Read this.
- Q: FTP isn't working. How can I turn on passive mode?
A: Passive FTP is configured through the Mac's System Preferences applet. Go there, then pick the Network icon. Choose the connection you are using and then go to the Proxies tab. Near the bottom you will see a checkbox that indicates whether you want passive FTP or not.
- Q: How do I uninstall the plugin?
A: Browse to /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins and delete Now Playing.bundle. A lot of people mistakenly look in their own personal user Library folder. It is not in there! It is in the system Library folder which can be found at the root of your hard drive.
- Q: How can I get a debug log?
A: Go to the plugin's configuration screen and select the Options tab. For Logging, select Debug. Reproduce your issue now. The logs will be written to the system logs and can be viewed with the Mac OS X application Console. This is in your Applications->Utilities folder. Screenshot.
- Q: How can I get back to the configuration screen?
A: To configure any plugin, you must select it as the Visualizer. In the latest version of iTunes, you can do this on the View, then Visualizer menu. Then return to that menu and choose the Options item.
- Q: If I turn the visualizer off, will the plugin still run?
- Q: Why does part of my album cover get cut off in the Visualizer?
A: This happens because you have "Small" mode selected. Change to "Large" on the Visualizer menu.
- Q: Why aren't my Amazon or Apple links populated in the XML?
A: It is because the Amazon or Apple search engine cannot find the album. These engines can be picky at times.
- Q: Can you show me how to parse the XML file on my server?
A: Sure. This sample will work for a single song or multiple songs.
$file = "now_playing.xml";
$xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
if ( is_file( $file ) )
$fp = fopen( $file, "r" );
$data = fread( $fp, filesize( $file ) );
fclose( $fp );
xml_parse_into_struct( $xml_parser, $data, $vals, $index );
xml_parser_free( $xml_parser );
if ( $debug )
echo "Index array\n";
echo "\nVals array\n";
if ( $vals[ $index["NOW_PLAYING"] ]["attributes"]["PLAYING"] == 1 )
foreach ( $index["TITLE"] as $i => $j )
$title = $vals[ $index["TITLE"][$i] ]["value"];
if ( strlen( $title ) > 0 )
$artist = $vals[ $index["ARTIST"][$i] ]["value"];
$album = $vals[ $index["ALBUM"][$i] ]["value"];
$genre = $vals[ $index["GENRE"][$i] ]["value"];
$kind = $vals[ $index["KIND"][$i] ]["value"];
$track = $vals[ $index["TRACK"][$i] ]["value"];
$numtracks = $vals[ $index["NUMTRACKS"][$i] ]["value"];
$year = $vals[$index["YEAR"][$i] ]["value"];
$comments = $vals[ $index["COMMENTS"][$i] ]["value"];
$time = $vals[ $index["TIME"][$i] ]["value"];
$bitrate = $vals[ $index["BITRATE"][$i] ]["value"];
$urlamazon = $vals[ $index["URLAMAZON"][$i] ]["value"];
$imagesmallurl = $vals[ $index["IMAGESMALL"][$i] ]["value"];
$imageurl = $vals[ $index["IMAGE"][$i] ]["value"];
$imagelargeurl = $vals[ $index["IMAGELARGE"][$i] ]["value"];
$filename = $vals[ $index["FILE"][$i] ]["value"];
$artworkID = $vals[ $index["ARTWORKID"][$i] ]["value"];
echo "Now Playing is " . $title . " by " . $artist;
echo "Now Playing is stopped.";
- Q: I don't understand all of this PHP stuff but I still want to do all these cool things. Can you help?
A: Ok, I have zipped up the actual code I use on my own web site. You can download it and use it for your site or as a starter. Please don't mail me to customize it for you. I don't have time. So to use this: 1) Take the zip file and extract and place the files on your PHP-enabled web server. 2) Put the images into /images on your server. 3) Insert the following code in the web page that you want to display the music.
I have done my fair share of free plugins lately. This one took a little more work so I decided to release it as shareware. So download the plugin and test it out. Make sure it does what you want. Once you are happy, order the licensed version for $5. You will receive a registration key via e-mail once I receive your purchase confirmation from PayPal. Oh yeah -- be cool and keep your registration to yourself.
Also, if you would, you can put the Now Playing badge on your web site with a link back to this page. The more people that donate, the more I will be asked to develop new and interesting features that you will be able to take advantage of!
Here is the code for your site:
<img src="http://brandon.fuller.name/images/now_playing.png" alt="Now Playing" />
Download the current version from the link below. Past versions are not archived.
A chronological list of how we got here.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2013-11-11
- Updated to work with Apple's new iTunes affiliate program. Sign up here.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2013-03-15
- Fixed Facebook integration. Again. Facebook started doing something "smart" when we give them URLs to Amazon albums. It blows away all your custom text and uses text scraped from Amazon. This does not appear to happen with iTunes links. I use iTunes anyway. So I switched to iTunes links and they seem to be showing up more like they are intended, in most cases. In some cases, you continue to get an iTunes text scrape with it. The other choice would be to remove the link all together which might be the next answer.
- Changed the default Facebook message because "actor" no longer works.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2013-03-03
- Fixed Twitter authorization issue after Twitter changed OAuth endpoint.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2012-10-11
- Fixed Twitter posting. Twitter deprecated the API the plugin used.
- Fixed the logging to the console for Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2012-04-17
- Fixed Twitter authorization bug.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2011-08-10
- Cleaned up logging to match log levels.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2011-08-16
- Fixed Facebook reset button.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2011-08-07
- Fixed artwork export issues caused by Lion.
- Fixed artwork upload checkbox issue.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2011-08-02
- Fixed crash caused by Apple lookup freeing file streams.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2011-08-01
- Support for Mac OS X Lion and iTunes 10.4. Details.
- Facebook rate limit restrictions changed.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2011-05-31
- Fixed issue with Amazon lookups involving dots, underscores, and tildes in the artist or album name.
- Prevent use of email addresses as Amazon Associate IDs as those are not valid.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2011-05-03
- Internal updates to support usage tracking.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2011-04-27
- Facebook rate limit fixed at 360 minutes.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2011-04-26
- Facebook integration has been restored. Details.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2011-03-15
- Fixed issue where some Amazon cover art wasn't being displayed in Facebook news feed posts because of URL encoding issues.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2011-02-25
- Changed default rate limits from 60 to 0 to prevent user confusion.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2010-10-05
- Support for SFTP login with no password. Configure password to blank.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2010-10-04
- Support for FTP/SFTP paths with spaces in them.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2010-09-18
- Fixed issue where dollar signs in FTP/SFTP passwords would cause a login failure.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2010-08-11
- Apple changed the iTunes Link Maker again. Updated to work with new API.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2010-04-14
- FTP username containing @ was not working properly because of how FTP parses the command line argument. Changed to pass username in separate command.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2010-04-11
- FTP overhaul. Given random errors users have been seeing with FTP on some hosts, I scrapped the code I used from Apple and went with automating the system FTP application. This is how the plugin does SFTP and its provided to be quite reliable.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2010-03-29
- Fixed issue where PPC-based Macs could not perform Twitter authorization.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2010-03-02
- Raised version number to match Windows editions of the plugin to reflect feature parity levels.
- Added ability to customize the Facebook description for posting news feed items. Previously, it posted the comments field.
- Added "Skip Shorter Than" to Options configuration.
- Added ability to skip kinds of media. Maybe you don't want to post video updates, for example.
- Changed Facebook news feed items so that they do not post as status if no Amazon URL is found.
- Fixed bug where non-ASCII characters in various configuration fields caused problems. Reported as Facebook Message not supporting non-ASCII characters.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2010-02-27
- Added ability to customize the description field in the Facebook news item attachment.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2010-02-25
- Fixed issue where Apple iTunes lookup did not deal with non-ASCII characters properly.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2010-02-10
- Fixed issue where Twitter OAuth signatures were too short because of a buffer issue. Prevented authorization in some cases.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2010-02-07
- Changed Facebook option to publish to status or news feed. You must perform the 1, 2, 3 setup on the configuration page again. More info.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2010-02-04
v188.8.131.52 -- 2010-01-26
- Overhauled shutdown sequence to prevent reported crashes.
- Moved comments to DISQUS for better interaction.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2009-11-09
- Apple changed iTunes links again.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2009-08-18
- Amazon began requiring requests to be signed so signatures added.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2009-03-31
- Added SFTP support for stop publish.
- Added ping support for stop publish.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2009-01-26
- Added SFTP support.
- Added a check during install if iTunes is running.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2009-01-06
- Fixed artworkID. I broke it in 2.0 with the internationalization.
- Removed duplicate file tag in XML.
- Ordered new XML tags in 2.0 to match Windows edition.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2008-12-28
- Upgraded to later version of iTunes API which allows access to additional fields such as grouping, composer, rating, and more. Provides support for international characters in strings!
- Added ability to use grouping field to hold ASIN value for Amazon lookups.
- Added a caching mechanism for the upload of artwork to prevent redundant exports.
- Added a hasAmazon tag for Facebook support so conditional logic can be used in display.
- Updated the default Facebook message to include the new conditional tag.
- Fixed Apple search to new URL.
- Changed install builders because PackageMaker blows.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2008-12-25
v220.127.116.11 -- 2008-02-13
- Fixed bug that caused plugin to crash iTunes when opening plugin preferences.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2007-11-04
- Fixed bug that caused plugin preferences to go unsaved in Leopard.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2007-09-08
- Added timestamp attribute to XML. Forgot to add this before. Now its the same as Windows editions of the plugin.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2007-07-13
- Now Playing menu item in Visualizer menu was showing strange charactgers in iTunes 7.3 and higher.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2007-04-04
- Reverted AppleScript changes; didn't help; caused other issues
v184.108.40.206 -- 2007-04-01
- Log level is now saved between runs of iTunes.
- More logging added for various log levels.
- Programmatic changes to export artwork script to try and avoid crashes. Crashes seem to be triggered by other plugins, such as OmniGrowl, that all rush to export artwork at the same time.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2007-01-14
- Print empty XML nodes for Amazon and Apple when no data exists. PHP XML processing doesn't do well with differing number of elements per block.
- Fixed artwork ID value in XML to use UTF-8 characters before MD5 hashing.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2006-12-19
- Added choice of character encoding for XML.
- Added UTF-8 character encoding for ping data.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2006-09-15
- Some user interface updates to make options window more dialog-like.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2006-09-14
- Fixed iTunes 7 issue where tracks would not update.
- Fixed iTunes Music Store links because Apple changed them -- again.
- Updated installer to close iTunes if running on install.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2006-08-03
- Added a weekly software update check for new versions.
v0.2.0.1 -- 2006-07-04
- Fixed crash issue in new ping functionality when Apple or Amazon lookup isn't enabled.
v0.2.0.0 -- 2006-07-01
v0.1.0.0 -- 2006-06-28
- Added ability to set variable length of songs to be stored in XML.
- Added ability to set custom HTTP header value for ping.
v0.0.2.3 -- 2006-03-29
- Fixed issue where artwork would not export properly with apostrophe in album or artist.
- Fixed issue where artwork would only export locally into /tmp directory.
v0.0.2.2 -- 2006-03-27
- Fixed issue where iTunes crashes when FTP settings are empty.
v0.0.2.1 -- 2006-03-27
- Fixed issue where local XML file would not be written unless upload is configured.
v0.0.2.0 -- 2006-03-25
- Added locale selection and associate ID to Amazon lookup.
- Added abilty to export artwork locally.
- Moved artwork width option to general option.
v0.0.1.0 -- 2006-03-09
- Fixed the publish stop message. Broke it a while back.
- Confirmed that Intel-based Macs are working!
v0.0.0.9 -- 2006-03-07
- Upgraded project targets to support Intel-based Macs.
v0.0.0.8 -- 2006-03-06
v0.0.0.7 -- 2006-02-10
v0.0.0.6 -- 2006-01-16
v0.0.0.5 -- 2005-12-13
v0.0.0.4 -- 2005-12-09
- Fixed crash when FTP settings are empty.
v0.0.0.3 -- 2005-12-07
v0.0.0.2 -- 2005-12-08
- Fixed crash when computer is offline and FTP is attempted.
v0.0.0.1 -- 2005-12-05
- First relase. More to come.
For questions, suggestions, bug reports, and anything else, please e-mail or leave a comment. Please be sure to review the FAQ above before asking a question. Requests from those who have donated receive higher priority.
I am also trying to offer updates and support via Twitter. Follow nowplayingtool.
Updated: 2013-11-11 at 21:27
MST in Hacks
Tags: apple facebook itunes nowplaying twitter