Current version is 22.214.171.124 released on 2013-11-11
Other Editions: iTunes for Mac OS X | Winamp | Windows Media Player
The Now Playing plugin allows you to easily publishing what you are listening to! The end result is something that could look like this on your web site!
iTunes allow you to create plugins that can do various tasks for you. The Now Playing plugin monitors the song you are listening to and publishes the data in various ways:
- Creates a XML file with information on that song. A file called now_playing.xml is created in your iTunes Plug-ins directory.
- The plugin also offers you the ability to FTP/SFTP that file to a server of your choosing after its updated.
- Create a ping with the song information.
- Post information on Twitter.
- Post information on Facebook.
The idea is that you publish the XML up to your web server and then through some scripting magic, you can display your currently playing song or your recently played tracks. To make your web site more interactive, the plugin also retrieves the following information for you to use:
- URL of the album image cover art from Amazon.com (if found).
- Link to the Amazon.com product page for the CD (if found).
- Link to the Apple iTunes Music Store product page with the song highlighted within iTunes (if found).
- Run the installer.
- Start iTunes.
- The first time you start iTunes with the plugin installed, the configuration screen will come up. If you don't see it or you miss it, you can reopen the configuration screen at any time by selecting Now Playing as the Visualizer. In the latest version of iTunes, you can do this on the View, then Visualizer menu. Then return to that menu and choose the Options item.
About: Get version information.
Options: Configure a few basic options for the plugin.
- Publish Stop: If you want the plugin to publish a message when you stop playing music. The playlist in the XML will be emptied but it is still cached for the next time you fire up iTunes.
- Clear Playlist: When the player exits, you can choose to keep or clear the playlist memory for the plugin.
- Playlist Delay: The playlist will only keep a new entry if it plays for at least the amount of time specified. If you change tracks before the time elapses, the playlist entry for the song you skipped will be overwritten with the next song. So instead of advancing the oldest item off the list, it leaves the items in tact and just overwrites the prior.
- Skip Shorter Than: If a track is shorter than this number of seconds, the track will be skipped from all output interfaces (XML, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). This is helpful if you have short sound effects in your playlist that you do not want to publish. If set to 0, the setting is effectively disabled and all tracks will be published.
- Skip Kinds: If a track matches this list of kinds, the track will be skipped from all output interfaces (XML, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). This is helpful if you don't want to publish video, for example. This is a comma separated list of values. The value for each kind should be taken from the XML's kind tag.
- Logging: If you are not getting the results you expect from the plugin, you may want to enable logging. A file called NowPlaying-Log.txt will be generated in the iTunes\Plug-ins directory. If you contact me about an issue, I will be more likely to solve your issue if you send the log file with the event captured at the debug log level.
XML: Configure some options for the XML file that will be generated.
- Output File: Specify the location of the file that is created when the song changes. This file will be uploaded to your FTP/SFTP server if configured to do so. You may use date/time formatting codes, such as %Y, in the filename.
- Encoding: Select which type of encoding your want for the XML. UTF-8 is the recommended choice.
- XSL URL: This URL will be insert into your XML. You may leave the it empty if you do not use that functionality.
- Wrap XML tag values with CDATA: Some song properties have odd characters inside of them and you may need to safely encode the XML depending on your parser.
- Playlist Length: Enter the total number of songs that you want to publish in the XML file.
Upload: Enter your server information to configure FTP/SFTP. Be sure that you have permission on your server to upload the file.
- Protocol: Choose from None, FTP, and SFTP.
- Hostname: Your FTP/SFTP server name or IP address.
- Username: Your FTP/SFTP login.
- Password: Your FTP/SFTP password.
- Filename: You may use date/time formatting codes, such as %Y, in the filename.
- Artwork: The plugin will export the album artwork for the current track and upload it along with the XML if checked. The image will be resized to be a maximum width of that specified. Setting the value to 0 will cause no resizing to occur. The height is calculated based on the width-height ratio of the original image.
Ping: The plugin can send an HTTP POST request when the song changes. The request is sent after the upload of the XML file, if configured. Each of the XML tag names for the track are posted as fields.
- URL: Enter a URL that will receive the POST request.
- Extra Info: Enter a value that will be sent as a HTTP header called X-NowPlaying. You can use this to set a secret value that your script looks for to prevent unauthorized use.
Twitter: The plugin can post a tweet with what you are listening to.
- Enabled: Turn the feature on or off.
- Rate Limit: Enter the minimum number of minutes between tweets. This is used to comply with Twitter's rate limiting. Also helps so you don't annoy the crap out of your followers with a tweet for every track you play.
- Message: Enter the text that you want to post for each new song that plays. You can use a combination of the tags listed below the field for the song data. The text will be substituted and should be less than 140 characters (Twitter limit).
- Setup: You need to complete the three phase setup to add and authorize the plugin to work with Twitter. 1) Press Authorize to launch a web browser and give Now Playing access. 2) You will get a PIN from Twitter that you enter in the field. 3) Verify the PIN by pressing Verify. 4) You should see your Twitter name appear there with an option to reset if you want to start over or remove the association.
Facebook: The plugin can update your Facebook news feed with what you are listening to.
- Enabled: Turn the feature on or off.
- Rate Limit: Enter the minimum number of minutes between posts. This is used to comply with Facebook's rate limiting. Also helps so you don't annoy the crap out of your friends with a post for every track you play. This is currently required to be 30 minutes or more because of Facebook's ban on spammy apps.
- Caption: Enter the text that you want to post for each new song that plays. You can use a combination of the tags listed below the field for the song data.
- Description: Enter the text that you want for the description of the news feed item for each new song that plays. You can use a combination of the tags listed below the field for the song data.
- Setup: You need to complete the two phase setup to add and authorize the plugin to work with Facebook. Press each of the buttons in sequence and follow the instructions. You should see your Facebook name appear there with an option to reset if you want to start over or remove the association when you have completed the steps.
Amazon: The plugin will query Amazon.com for additional information about your song, such as a link and the album image cover.
- Enabled: Turn the lookup on or off.
- Locale: Choose "us" for Amazon in the US, "ca" for Amazon in Canada, "uk" for Amazon in the United Kingdom, "de" for Amazon in Germany, or "jp" for Amazon in Japan.
- Associate ID: Amazon allows you to collect referral fees on items sold when users click-through from your site. Enter your associate ID here.
- ASIN Hint: Check this box if you want the plug-in to assume the value of the track's grouping field is an Amazon ASIN. Since Amazon's search is quirky for some albums, you can use this feature to specify the exact album you want to match.
Apple: The plugin will query Apple's iTunes Music Store for additional information about your song, such as a link.
- Enabled: Turn the lookup on or off.
- Affiliate ID: Want to receive a commission when users click-through and buy songs from your site at the iTunes Music Store? Join the Apple iTunes Affiliate program. Find out what your Affiliate ID is and plug it in here.
License: If and when you purchase a license, you will enter your registration information on the license tab. Enter the e-mail address you used for the PayPal transaction and the license key I sent you after the purchase.
The XML has the following format for a single song playlist. If you configure the playlist for more than 1 entry, there will be multiple song tags.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<now_playing playing="1" timestamp="2004-05-24T23:12:46-07:00">
<kind>MPEG audio file</kind>
<comments>I like it.</comments>
- Q: I lost my registration key. Can you resend it?
A: You can retrieve it yourself here.
- Q: How do I uninstall the plugin?
A: Go to the Windows Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs, and then select Now Playing.
- Q: How can I get a debug log?
A: Go to the plugin's configuration screen and select the Options tab. For Logging, select Debug. Reproduce your issue now. A file called NowPlaying-Log.txt will be generated in the iTunes\Plug-ins\Now Playing directory.
- Q: How can I get back to the configuration screen?
A: To configure any plugin, you must select it as the Visualizer. In the latest version of iTunes, you can do this on the View, then Visualizer menu. Then return to that menu and choose the Options item.
- Q: If I turn the visualizer off, will the plugin still run?
- Q: Why does part of my album cover get cut off in the Visualizer?
A: This happens because you have "Small" mode selected. Change to "Large" on the Visualizer menu.
- Q: Why aren't my Amazon or Apple links populated in the XML?
A: It is because the Amazon or Apple search engine cannot find the album. These engines can be picky at times.
- Q: How can I parse these ISO-8601 dates used in the XML?
A: There are a handful of sites with functions to do this.
- Q: Can you show me how to parse the XML file on my server?
A: Sure. This sample will work for a single song or multiple songs.
$file = "now_playing.xml";
$xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
if ( is_file( $file ) )
$fp = fopen( $file, "r" );
$data = fread( $fp, filesize( $file ) );
fclose( $fp );
xml_parse_into_struct( $xml_parser, $data, $vals, $index );
xml_parser_free( $xml_parser );
if ( $debug )
echo "Index array\n";
echo "\nVals array\n";
if ( $vals[ $index["NOW_PLAYING"] ]["attributes"]["PLAYING"] == 1 )
foreach ( $index["TITLE"] as $i => $j )
$title = $vals[ $index["TITLE"][$i] ]["value"];
if ( strlen( $title ) > 0 )
$artist = $vals[ $index["ARTIST"][$i] ]["value"];
$album = $vals[ $index["ALBUM"][$i] ]["value"];
$genre = $vals[ $index["GENRE"][$i] ]["value"];
$kind = $vals[ $index["KIND"][$i] ]["value"];
$track = $vals[ $index["TRACK"][$i] ]["value"];
$numtracks = $vals[ $index["NUMTRACKS"][$i] ]["value"];
$year = $vals[$index["YEAR"][$i] ]["value"];
$comments = $vals[ $index["COMMENTS"][$i] ]["value"];
$time = $vals[ $index["TIME"][$i] ]["value"];
$bitrate = $vals[ $index["BITRATE"][$i] ]["value"];
$rating = $vals[ $index["RATING"][$i] ]["value"];
$disc = $vals[ $index["DISC"][$i] ]["value"];
$numdiscs = $vals[ $index["NUMDISCS"][$i] ]["value"];
$playcount = $vals[ $index["PLAYCOUNT"][$i] ]["value"];
$compilation = $vals[ $index["COMPILATION"][$i] ]["value"];
$urlamazon = $vals[ $index["URLAMAZON"][$i] ]["value"];
$urlapple = $vals[ $index["URLAPPLE"][$i] ]["value"];
$imagesmallurl = $vals[ $index["IMAGESMALL"][$i] ]["value"];
$imageurl = $vals[ $index["IMAGE"][$i] ]["value"];
$imagelargeurl = $vals[ $index["IMAGELARGE"][$i] ]["value"];
$composer = $vals[ $index["COMPOSER"][$i] ]["value"];
$grouping = $vals[ $index["GROUPING"][$i] ]["value"];
$filename = $vals[ $index["FILE"][$i] ]["value"];
$artworkID = $vals[ $index["ARTWORKID"][$i] ]["value"];
echo "Now Playing is " . $title . " by " . $artist;
echo "Now Playing is stopped.";
- Q: I don't understand all of this PHP stuff but I still want to do all these cool things. Can you help?
A: Ok, I have zipped up the actual code I use on my own web site. You can download it and use it for your site or as a starter. Please don't mail me to customize it for you. I don't have time. So to use this: 1) Take the zip file and extract and place the files on your PHP-enabled web server. 2) Put the images into /images on your server. 3) Insert the following code in the web page that you want to display the music.
I have done my fair share of free plugins lately. This one took a little more work so I decided to release it as shareware. So download the plugin and test it out. Make sure it does what you want. Once you are happy, order the licensed version for $5. You will receive a registration key via e-mail once I receive your purchase confirmation from PayPal. Oh yeah -- be cool and keep your registration to yourself.
Also, if you would, you can put the Now Playing badge on your web site with a link back to this page. The more people that donate, the more I will be asked to develop new and interesting features that you will be able to take advantage of!
Here is the code for your site:
<img src="http://brandon.fuller.name/images/now_playing.png" alt="Now Playing" />
Download the current version from the link below. Past versions are not archived.
A chronological list of how we got here.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2013-11-11
- Updated to work with Apple's new iTunes affiliate program. Sign up here.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2013-03-15
- Fixed Facebook integration. Again. Facebook started doing something "smart" when we give them URLs to Amazon albums. It blows away all your custom text and uses text scraped from Amazon. This does not appear to happen with iTunes links. I use iTunes anyway. So I switched to iTunes links and they seem to be showing up more like they are intended, in most cases. In some cases, you continue to get an iTunes text scrape with it. The other choice would be to remove the link all together which might be the next answer.
- Changed the default Facebook message because "actor" no longer works.
- Removed Facebook rate limit limit of 30 minutes.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2013-03-03
- Fixed Twitter authorization issue after Twitter changed OAuth endpoint.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2012-12-01
- Fixed error where plugin thinks its the first run if XML file not configured.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2012-10-16
- Fixed Twitter posting. Again. Some users getting "bad authorization" with code 215.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2012-10-11
- Fixed Twitter posting. Twitter deprecated the API the plugin used.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2012-02-28
- Fixed logging configuration user interface that I busted.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2012-02-12
- Lower Facebook Rate Limit to 30 minutes minimum.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2011-05-31
- Fixed issue with Amazon lookups involving dots, underscores, and tildes in the artist or album name.
- Prevent use of email addresses as Amazon Associate IDs as those are not valid.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2011-05-03
- Internal updates to support usage tracking.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2011-04-27
- Facebook rate limit fixed at 360 minutes.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2011-04-26
- Facebook integration has been restored. Details.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2011-03-15
- Fixed issue where some Amazon cover art wasn't being displayed in Facebook news feed posts because of URL encoding issues.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2011-02-25
- Changed default rate limits from 60 to 0 to prevent user confusion.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2010-08-11
- Apple changed the iTunes Link Maker again. Updated to work with new API.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2010-04-28
- Removed Facebook error message dialog box. Message in error log.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2010-03-13
- Fixed issue where some international characters were not displayed properly in Twitter and Facebook messages and screen names.
- Fixed issue where Facebook description value was not saved.
- Fixed issue where Facebook message in news feed only had cover art and no text.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2010-03-02
- Added ability to customize the Facebook description for posting news feed items. Previously, it posted the comments field.
- Added ability to skip kinds of media. Maybe you don't want to post video updates, for example.
- Changed Facebook news feed items so that they do not post as status if no Amazon URL is found.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2010-02-25
- Fixed issue where Apple iTunes lookup did not deal with non-ASCII characters properly.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2010-02-10
- Fixed issue where Twitter OAuth signatures were too short because of a buffer issue. Prevented authorization in some cases.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2010-02-09
- Fixed issue where Twitter Rate Limit option not being stored properly.
- Add more debug logs for Twitter authorization process to help troubleshooting.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2010-02-07
- Changed Facebook option to publish to status or news feed. You must perform the 1, 2, 3 setup on the configuration page again. More info.
- Changed Twitter option to use OAuth login.
- Added rate limit option to Twitter.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2010-01-23
- Added "Skip Shorter Than" to Options configuration.
- Moved comments to DISQUS for better interaction.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2009-11-09
- Apple changed iTunes links again.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2009-08-18
- Amazon began requiring requests to be signed so signatures added.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2009-03-21
- Changed permission checks for temp directory.
- Added error message for log if artwork export write on local machine fails.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2009-03-16
- Reports of install failures so upgraded DLL registration method in NSIS.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2009-01-05
- Added timestamp and hasAmazon tags to Facebook function.
- Added default Facebook message.
- Fixed Apple lookup for new server URL.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2008-11-17
- Added support for new Facebook profile.
- Added file permission checks in installer for log and XML files.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2008-07-08
- Stopped URL encoding Facebook image URLs because Facebook does not like them anymore.
- Added urlAmazon as a Facebook tag.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2008-02-20
- Migrating to Amazon Associates Web Service 4.0.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2007-08-18
- Removed FTP and SFTP warning dialog boxes. All errors are logged in the log instead.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2007-08-03
- Added Amazon image tags to Facebook output tags.
- Adjusted list of Facebook output tags based on plugin edition.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2007-07-17
- Added Facebook "Add Application" button.
- Fixed incorrect error message on Facebook authorize.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2007-07-05
v22.214.171.124 -- 2007-03-22
v126.96.36.199 -- 2007-01-14
- Fixed artwork ID value in XML to use UTF-8 characters before MD5 hashing.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2006-12-19
- Added UTF-8 encoding for ping data.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2006-09-14
- Apple broke the music store links -- again.
- Support for pinging SSL sites.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2006-07-27
- Update software version check.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2006-07-10
- Fixed issue where artwork was not being exported if no album name existed in ID3 tag.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2006-06-29
- Overhauled the ping functionality to support POST of all data elements to URL.
- Added extra info field to ping.
- Fixed Apple iTunes Music Store links. Apple changed format of link maker again.
- Removed choice of Amazon image size from configuration.
- Added all Amazon images sizes to the XML and ping.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2006-03-31
- Fixed issue with Amazon lookups when colons or apostrophes were in album or artist name.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2006-02-13
- Changed duplicate track detection mechanism.
- Fixed issue with log file path which caused log not to generate.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2005-11-13
- Fixed iTunes Music Store lookups after Apple changed the link generator.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2005-10-31
- Better detection for duplicate tracks in playlist.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2005-10-12
- File uploads were causing problems when full path was not specified for the local XML file. Configuration now requires full path for local XML file.
- Revised the Internet upload error dialog messages.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2005-10-10
- Fixed file upload issue when configuration did not have a path for the upload filename.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2005-09-15
- Added option to disable Amazon and Apple lookups.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2005-09-08
- Fixed uninstaller issues.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2005-08-05
- Prevent installation when media player is running.
- Improved image quality of exported artwork.
- Fixed artwork defect where width was always 160 pixels.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2005-07-29
- Allow exported artwork to be saved locally if FTP/SFTP path is empty and upload artwork is on.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2005-07-25
- Fixed FTP defect introduced in 22.214.171.124.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2005-07-24
- Removed podcasting feature.
- Added new file element in XML.
- Added artwork export and upload option.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2005-07-14
- Fixed issue where I assumed the ping URL entered had a ? in it.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2005-05-30
- Fixed DllRegisterServer errors in installer for libcurl.dll, libeay32.dll, and libssl32.dll.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2005-05-27
- Podcasting download issue where the plugin would only download the first enclosure in the feed in some cases.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2005-05-10
- Added an XML parse error log to help diagnose bad feeds.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2005-03-08
- Added Canada to Amazon locale choices.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2005-01-26
- Updated SFTP component to newer version.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-12-15
- Added configuration option to turn off inbox playlist.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-12-14
- Added proxy support for podcast downloads.
- Added option to surpress FTP failed prompts.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-12-13
- Fixed defect where some users where getting duplicate podcast downloads.
- More debug logging.
- Show error when invalid FTP credentials are used.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-12-05
- Changed podcast engine to only download one enclosure per feed per cycle. This will help when adding new feeds.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-12-02
- Changed podcast download library to use cURL. Previous MS XML library was not properly dealing with redirects.
- Changed BitTorrent client to provide uploads after download is completed for the amount of time that download took if uploading is available.
- Stopped downloading .torrent file and just access it via HTTP now.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-11-30
- Delete troubleshooting log on iTunes startup.
- Added new MIME types: audio/mp3, audio/x-m4b
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-11-13
- Added the ability to customize the XML and upload filename with various date attributes to enable rotating logs.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-11-05
- Fixed defect where iTunes would crash during certain cases of bad cover art from Amazon.
- Fixed defect for compliation matches on Amazon for playlists of length greater than 1.
- Separated the publish stop message into a publish stop and clear playlist on exit.
- Reorganized dialogs.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-10-30
- Fixed defect where if the podcast download directory does not exist, the podcast history file could not be written creating repeat downloads of each podcast.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-10-29
- Changed user agent to be "NowPlaying" so we can track usage.
- Added new logging functionality to aid in troubleshooting bad podcast feeds.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-10-28
- Fixed a memory leak caused by podcast downloads.
- Fixed a problem were new podcasts were not added to playlists if any item in that playlist was not found on disk.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-10-26
- When purging files, plugin now deletes all empty parent directories of the deleted file.
- Added a registry setting to control passive FTP.
- Slowed visualizer redraw because iTunes 4.7 would lock up.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-10-22
- Removed the begin and end popup balloons for the podcast downloads.
- Fixed issue where podcasts were not being deleted properly during purge.
- After deleting a podcast file, it will attempt to delete the container directory if empty.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-10-14
- Added audio/x-mpeg-3 as a supported MIME type. Blogdigger uses this.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-10-11
- Changed default RSS interval to 6 hours.
- Added full file management capabilities.
- New download history management via XML.
- Removed download files if iTunes is copying track when added.
- Create the directory selected for the XML file if it does not exist.
- Added an option to suppress the creation of a playlist per RSS channel.
- Changed RSS update interval to hours from minutes.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-09-25
- Added BitTorrent support for RSS enclosure downloads.
- Fixed issue with saving Apple iTunes Affiliate ID.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-09-21
- Update your iPod if connected after downloading new RSS enclosures.
- Added ability to specify an associate ID for links to the iTunes Music Store.
- Added URL into the comments field for MP3s downloaded through RSS enclosures.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-09-16
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-09-14
- Re-architected portions of plugin to create a version for Windows Media Player.
- Changed the default of sending stop signal to false.
- Only show trial message once per session.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-09-07
- Fixed links to Apple iTunes Music Store. Apple keeps changing the links so the plugin has to adapt.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-08-22
- Added support for locales Germany and Japan to the Amazon lookup.
- Added XML encoding support for ISO-8859-1.
- Reorganized options dialog.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-08-12
- Fixed link to Apple iTunes store. Apple recently changed their URL.
- Added timestamp to each song tag in the XML.
- Changed XML output encoding to UTF-8.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-08-09
- Improved timezone handling to better handle BST and others.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-08-06
- Changed the visualizer to show the album's cover art from Amazon instead of the flashing patterns to avoid triggering epileptic seizures.
- Fixed so duplicate playlist items are not shown when pausing and then unpausing songs.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-07-27
- Added ability to use track's grouping field as an ASIN hint for Amazon lookups.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-07-20
- Improved Amazon search for soundtracks/compilations by removing artist from query when compilation is set to yes for the song.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-06-25
- Fixed issue where playlist load on startup didn't begin at the right spot.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-06-24
- Fixed issue where song updates did not occur when tracks changed while playing music from a CD.
- Updated installer to new look.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-06-06
- Added ability to specify the location of the XML file created.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-06-02
- Added CDATA encoding option for XML string fields.
- Fixed printing of max size strings in comments field.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-05-28
- Fixed timestamp bug related to daylight savings time.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-05-27
- Changed XML node names for Amazon and Apple URLs to make simple XML parsing easier.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-05-26
- Fixed issue with combo boxes not dropping down on Windows 2000.
- Fixed installer so it creates the plugin and MSSOAP directories if they do not exist.
- Added composer field into the XML.
- Fixed issue with self-registering msxml3r.dll and mssoap1.dll.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-05-25
- FTP now uses passive mode to ensure smooth firewall operation.
- More data fields available in the XML: genre, kind, track, numtracks, year, comments, time, bitrate, rating, disc, numdiscs, playcount, and compilation.
- SFTP is now native and does not require any 3rd party software.
- Ability to utilize Amazon.com's Web Services to retrieve URL for album and URL for album cover artwork. Works for US and UK stores.
- Ability to generate a URL that takes you to the song in the iTunes music store.
- Added a timestamp into the XML.
- Improved file upload error messages.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-05-19
- Added a software update notification that checks for updates weekly.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-05-13
- Automatically show the options screen on startup of a new installation.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-04-30
- Fixed ping bug introduced in previous release.
- Added version to About page.
- Fixed shutdown bug.
- Fixed URL encoding of pings.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-04-29
- Changed options dialog to a set of property pages.
- Added new licensing mechanism.
v220.127.116.11 -- 2004-04-28
- Added ability to specify an optional XSL stylesheet for formatting.
- Expose a configuration option for the playlist delay.
- Restructured loading of configuration values.
v18.104.22.168 -- 2004-04-27
- Added encoding of special characters in song information to ensure proper XML.
- Added a 15 second buffer to the playlist update. If you change songs within 15 seconds, the first item in the playlist will be overwritten without rotating a song off the playlist. The FTP and ping updates still occur when the track changes.
v22.214.171.124 -- 2004-04-21
- Improved performance by multi-threading requests.
v126.96.36.199 -- 2004-04-12
- Added ability to turn off the publishing of the stop signal.
- Added variable playlist lengths.
v188.8.131.52 -- 2004-03-30
- Added ability to have the plugin do a TrackBack ping.
- Changed so that it only publishes the stop signal when iTunes exits.
- Added a playlist mode that publishes the last 10 songs played in the XML file.
v184.108.40.206 -- 2004-02-07
For questions, suggestions, bug reports, and anything else, please e-mail or leave a comment. Please be sure to review the FAQ above before asking a question. Requests from those who have donated receive higher priority.
I am also trying to offer updates and support via Twitter. Follow nowplayingtool.
Updated: 2013-11-11 at 21:27
MST in Hacks
Tags: apple facebook itunes nowplaying