In metrosexual news, we gave our closets a makeover. Kim had given up in the kid’s room. Too much stuff and nowhere to put it. So she started looking into redesigning their closets to maximize storage space. Then the project expanded into our closet. So she designed a layout with a closet company and we went ahead.
The bad news is that you have to empty your closets out while they do the work. This turns your house into a disaster area. All your clothes on the floor. I had to get dressed out of floor piles for about a week. We had to remove the old closet shelves, patch the walls, and paint the room. This went on for about a week because I am anal. I keep touching up and patching until the last minute. But once its done, I am done.
Then as it turns out, we had to remove our lights because they overlapped with where the new structures would sit. So we went about bought some new lights to replace the old one. I picked out some fixtures at Lowe’s and brought them home. I originally was looking at this fixture that was $180 each. I needed 2. That was too much money for a closet. So I opted with some fixed track/spot lights for $30 each. When I opened the boxes I found out that I needed to hang the lights from junction boxes. There are no junction boxes! The old florescent light was just anchored in the drywall. So I bought some junction boxes and then used my drill to make a complete mess in the ceiling. But the boxes ended up fitting in and I could now hang the lights. But the lights were down too low. I didn’t mount the junction boxes high enough. Redo. Still a gap. Fix with caulk and move on! I wired it up — sort of knowing what I was doing. Used to have one light but now I have 2. Parallel — I think. When Kim flipped the switch, I watched for sparks! It works. I have created light.
Anyway, the project is done and I can get dressed like a normal human being once again. Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure. I know a bunch of you dudes liked the theatre construction updates, so I thought this would be another in that series for you.
I wasn’t sure this was something that we needed to do but it looks great and its growing on me. I thank Kim for putting the time in to figure this out and getting us a great result.